Let’s face it: The past year of remaining (almost) exclusively indoors has taken a heavy toll on all of us, albeit in different ways. But something we can collectively relate to is how helpful an occasional “dose of inspiration” has become to keeping ourselves motivated and getting our creative momentum going.
That’s why we’ve curated this list of 10 insightful nuggets of wisdom from legendary minds of media history.
We just know that they’ll jumpstart those creative corners of your mind and help you continue producing fresh ideas and thinking outside the box.
After all, those are two of the most essential and sought-after elements of life in advertising.
So, settle in behind your favourite desk and prepare to feel inspired:
1) “Nobody reads ads. People read what interests them, and sometimes it’s an ad.” ~ Howard Luck Gossage
2) “Stopping advertising to save money is like stopping your watch to save time.” ~ Henry Ford
3) “Creative without strategy is called ‘art.’ Creative with strategy is called ‘advertising’.” ~ Jef I. Richards
4) “Advertising is the ability to sense, interpret . . . to put the very heart throbs of a business into type, paper and ink.” ~ Leo Burnett
5) “A good advertisement is one which sells the product without drawing attention to itself.” ~ David Ogilvy
6) “The most powerful element in advertising is the truth.” ~ Bill Bernbach
7) “Advertising may be described as the science of arresting the human intelligence long enough to get money from it.” ~ Stephen Leacock
8)“Many a small thing has been made large by the right kind of advertising.” ~ Mark Twain
9) “In advertising, not to be different is virtually suicidal” ~ Bill Bernbach
10) “Because advertising and marketing is an art, the solution to each new problem or challenge should begin with a blank canvas and an open mind, not with the nervous borrowings of other people’s mediocrities. That’s precisely what ‘trends’ are – a search for something ‘safe’ – and why a reliance on them leads to oblivion.” ~ George Lois
Sometimes, we tend to think that sayings from many years ago might be considered outdated or irrelevant in today’s digital world.
But we hope you’ll agree after reflecting on the words of wisdom in this blog: that sentiment couldn’t be farther from the truth, especially for the world of advertising.
Although media has undergone an ocean of change over time, what has remained unchanged at its core is successful advertising’s ability to create something memorable in people’s lives.
Pumped up to start using these tips in your marketing and advertising campaigns? Check out HT AdWorks.